Savanna Brito is an American meteorologist working at WTVO-TV/WQRF-TV serving as a meteorologist. She has been working at the station since joining in April 2022. She had also worked for other stations prior to joining WTVO/WQRF. For instance, he previously worked at WTWO/WAWV where he served as the weekday morning and noon meteorologist from September 2020 to April 2022. While there, she was in charge of creating fun and informative graphics to keep viewers engaged on social media as well as on-air. She also attended NWS events to stay involved with the rest of other local forecasters and meteorologists.
Savanna grew up in Northern Illinois. She attended Valparaiso University and graduated in just three and a half years. Savanna enjoyed learning about the types of weather phenomena that take place across the U.S. but likes to forecast severe weather the most.
After taking many rigorous meteorology courses at Valpo and being involved with VUTV (Valparaiso University Television – where she forecasted to the Crusaders), Savanna brings many strengths and knowledge in the field to Rockford.
Following her December 2019 graduation from Valpo, Savanna began her first post-college job in the news industry at WIFR in Rockford, Illinois in January 2020 as a Multimedia Journalist and Producer. She then started a position with WTWO/WAWV in Terre Haute, Indiana as the Weekday Morning & Noon Meteorologist in late September 2020. Now Savanna is working at her current position as a Meteorologist here at WTVO/WQRF as of early April 2022.
During her time at WTWO, Savanna highlights tracking an EF2 tornado live on the air during the December 10-11 2021 outbreak and covering two 8” snowstorms. She also visited many schools sharing her passion for weather with students of the Wabash Valley.
Savanna is no stranger to the industry. While attending Valpo, her first internship was working with WHBF in the Quad Cities with Chief Meteorologist Andy McCray.
Savanna Brito Skills:
Strengths include great communication skills and an outstanding work ethic. Well organized and great at getting tasks done in a timely manner. Works well both independently as well as collaboratively in a team setting. Excellent experience as a Meteorologist; live on-air severe weather and winter weather forecasts/cut-ins including tracking an EF2 tornado live on-air and covering two 8” snowstorms.
Computer skills include WSI Max, Intellicast, iNEWS, Arc Publishing, WordPress, Edius, Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, Premiere Pro, InDesign, Photoshop), Microsoft Office Suite, and iMovie.
Savanna Brito Early Life:
Ever since the age of six years old, when she saw her first funnel cloud, Savanna has dreamt of being a broadcast meteorologist, so she is thrilled to get to forecast and live out her lifelong dream now back at home! She enjoys furthering her knowledge in weather and hopes to obtain meteorology seals in the near future.
In college Savanna was very involved in fitness. She held multiple roles at the campus fitness center. She began as a Desk Attendant and then got promoted to a Building Manager. She also led a fitness course for the university.
Sharing her love for weather is something else Savanna is very passionate about. She was a TA (Teachers Assistant) during her senior year of high school where she assisted in a classroom. One of the aspects she highlights was teaching the 5th grade students about weather and doing science experiments with them.
Savanna is a Chicago Bulls and Bears fan. When not working you can find her at the gym, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family.
Also Read: Jaisol Martinez (Meteorologist) Age, Wikipedia, Biography & More
Savanna Brito Quick Facts:
• Drove viewers on-air and online increasing station ratings, especially during inclement weather
• Responded to severe weather and winter weather by providing live on-air updates to ensure the public’s safety
• Worked closely with other members of the weather team to develop accurate and comprehensive coverage
• Created fun and informative graphics to keep viewers engaged on-air and social media
• Attended NWS events or webinars to stay involved with other local Meteorologists/Forecasters
• Participated in community events to inform others about weather and the on-air product of forecasts
• Handled breaking news by quickly going out to gather information/video to put a story together for newscasts
• Worked in a daily high pressure and deadline driven environment to break news quickly and accurately; sought out new ways to tell engaging stories that captured the viewer’s attention
• Dove deeper into surrounding counties by conducting online research and spoke with the public to learn more about important elements in the communities
• Brainstormed and developed story ideas, found potential interviewees, shot and edited packages/vosots, posted stories online and shared to various platforms of social media
• Produced the 10 p.m. newscast, boothed the show to make sure it ran smooth and ended on time
• Collaborated with the children and assist with any education needs
• Developed and conduct weekly activities for the children to help with learning skills
• Communicated with coworkers and parents regarding changes to the schedule and special events
• Developed in depth and accurate weather forecasts for Valparaiso University students
• Provided local weather updates for various social media platforms
• Studied the most recent set of weather data and participated in map discussions
• Designed graphics through WSI Max for the weather shows
• Enhanced presentation skills to tell accurate, engaging, and concise weathercasts on the green screen
• Gathered weather graphics for the five evening newscasts
• Interacted with the news team and gave them a weekly weather update
• Input weather forecast into the online platforms
• Designed weather questions for our weather trivia and interacted with viewers through various social media platforms